6 Clever Ways to Keep Mosquitoes Clear of Your Home
Are mosquitoes annoying you? You’re not alone. We all hate mozzies! Not only do they leave itchy bite marks and carry serious diseases, they can also ruin a pleasant summer evening. Whether you’re hosting BBQ parties, playing with your kids, gardening or simply enjoying the cool breeze after a hot day in your backyard, mosquitoes will show up uninvited and bite you unnoticed.
All you want to do is enjoy the great outdoors! So, what do you do with the pesky mozzies? Here are six tips on how to keep mosquitoes away from your home for good.
Remove unnecessary water sources
Mosquitoes lay their eggs in stagnant, non-chlorinated water, so if you have any unnecessary water sources around your home, be sure to remove them! Here are some of the things you can do:
- Get rid of unused tyres, tin cans, inflatable pools, plastic crates, buckets, and pots that are collecting water.
- Cover or upturn wheelbarrows, playground toys, bins, tools, boats, and trailers so they don’t collect water.
- Clean the gutters and drains and fix leaking taps so that water doesn’t build up.
- Remove water from unused built-in pools and pool covers.
By removing these unnecessary water sources, not only will you reduce the number of mosquitoes hanging around your house, you’ll also reduce the risk of getting bitten by them.
Stop them from breeding
For necessary water sources, you can stop mosquitoes from breeding in your yard and garden in the following ways:
- Change the water in your pet’s drinking bowl, the bird bath, and vases at least once a week.
- Put sand on the bottom of potted plants so water doesn’t leak out.
- Maintain the pool well or keep it empty and covered if not in use.
- Have little vegetation around fish ponds so that mosquitoes don’t feed on them.
- Trim your lawn and garden so that mozzies also don’t have a lot of places to rest.
- Keep rainwater tanks fully sealed with no gaps in the lids, covers, and inlet pipes.
- Cover the ends of inlets and overflow pipes with removable screen mesh.
- Make sure the lids or screens on water storage containers are secure.
Use mosquito coils in summertime
Use mosquito coils in your outdoor areas, combined with insect repellent for good protection against mozzies in summer. Traditional mosquito coils were made from a pyrethrum paste that produced a mosquito-repellent smoke when lit, but modern mosquito coils contain either pyrethroid insecticides to kill mozzies or plant-derived substances like citronella to repel them.
Buy some natural plant repellent
You can also naturally repel mozzies from your yard with mosquito repellent plants. These include citronella plants (Citrosa Geranium), flowers such as marigold and calendula, and herbs like mint, lemongrass, and rosemary. They all have a natural great-smelling scent that mosquitoes hate! So plant them near your entertainment areas to keep the mozzies away.
Install insect lights
Like other insects, mosquitoes are attracted to very hot and bright light sources and will swarm around them. So what type of lights should you use to keep them away? That would be insect lights with yellow, opaque bulbs, which are less detectable to mozzies than traditional white bulbs. Moreover, insect lights not only repel mosquitoes, they also create an ambient glow for a more pleasant outdoor experience.
What should you do if these methods don’t work?
If none of the above methods work to keep mosquitoes away from you and your home, don’t worry. There’s one other thing you can do that’s sure to work – install retractable fly screens! At Artilux, our almost invisible retractable fly screens come in a range of systems and cassette sizes and are adaptable to any home design. They’re made from high quality extruded aluminium and durable PVC-coated mesh that rolls out of a cassette and is spring loaded. You can fit the screens onto your windows and doors either horizontally or vertically so you can simply roll them sideways or up and down.
Retractable fly screens not only help keep the mozzies out, they also allow you to enjoy the benefits of fresh air, natural light, and an unobstructed view of the great outdoors.
Mosquito-proof your home
As you can see, there are various methods you can use to keep mosquitoes clear of your home, not just during summer but all year round as well. It’s important that you stop mozzies from breeding on your property, biting you, and getting inside your home so you can have a fun time by yourself or with friends and family, whether you’re indoors or outdoors.
If you’re thinking of installing retractable fly screens, look no further than Artilux. We have more than 30 years of experience in the field and offer fly screens that blend style, performance, and convenience. Contact our friendly team today for a free quote.